GD1 (Global From Day One) is an institutional-grade venture capital firm based in Auckland, we are one of the largest and most ambitious venture capital funds in New Zealand and are a full lifecycle investor, investing across a broad range of early stage technology companies, from enterprise software to connected hardware, to deep tech, and health tech.
We seek out globally ambitious New Zealand companies, then supercharge founders and operating teams to shine on the world stage. If you join us, you’ll get to work with fast paced iconic startups + scaleups such as Shuttlerock, Foundry Lab, Runn, Dawn Aerospace, Auror, UBCO, Formus Labs, Osho, StretchSense and many more.
Hot on the heels of successfully raising our third fund (first close of $135M Sept. 2021), GD1 is growing fast and we are eager to fulfil our mission of helping Kiwi founders believe bigger and ultimately achieve bigger + better outcomes. This is a rare opportunity to get involved early, help shape GD1 and make an impact in the fast growing New Zealand tech ecosystem.
We encourage you to check out our website at www.gd1.vc for more about our philosophy, approach, and team.
The Role / What you’ll be doing
We are seeking to welcome two new analysts into our investment team.
Like the founders we invest in, we look for individuals who have deep passion and interest for startups, technology and innovation. Alongside this we look for an insatiable appetite to be intellectually curious with a hunger to keep developing and improving – at GD1 one of our core tenets is that we’re always learning, regardless of prior roles and experiences.
The Investment Analyst role is the ‘tip of the spear’ of our wider team, and covers sourcing, due diligence through to investment, to ongoing support of portfolio companies to help them achieve their goals. You will work cross functionally as needed and will report to our Fund 3 Co-Managing Partners, John Kells and Vignesh Kumar.
Here’s a quick primer on the role:
- Based in Auckland, but will travel within New Zealand + attend events regionally
- Deal sourcing + investment review – become a familiar face for founders and engage with the local startup ecosystem, ranging from meet-ups to pitch competitions and conferences; then assess opportunities by conducting research, due diligence, and forming investment cases to present
- Interface with our Community Manager (Erin Anderson Scott) to execute on our community goals, represent GD1 to the broader ecosystem and foster relationships with other stakeholders whilst also helping to uncover interesting founders and companies for GD1 to back
- Work closely with our Senior team to analyse portfolio company metrics and performance on an ongoing basis
- Wider team support as required
What we are looking for
The GD1 team culture is built on a tight knit group of driven yet supportive individuals from very diverse backgrounds, and we believe that this diversity, be it ethnic, gender, or skill/experience based, is core to our growing success.
Key applicant traits
- Passion for technology and innovation, and seeing New Zealand technology companies grow and win on the global stage
- Ability to move nimbly and thrive in a self-directed manner when needed – able to recognize the forest for the trees and show initiative when all hands are needed on deck
- Curious and open to learning – eager to understand about new industries/companies under time constraints and synthesising that information for the wider investment team
- Quality and clarity of thought – confident with articulating thoughts, have an opinion on what defines a great business, and what the future might look like, communicate complex topics with concision, and reconcile the need to sometimes build data supported opinions vs. sometimes making opinions without the right data being readily available
- Comfortable with authentic and genuine opinion and conversations, even when it’s messy and feels unpopular or is contrary to others’ opinions
- Be willing and able to own mistakes and learn from them (we all make mistakes and we feel that it’s the best way to learn, so go easy on yourself)
- Be empathetic, humble, and helpful – be the founder’s first port of call and recognize that they are our stakeholders, and strive to build long lasting relationships with them where you can add value to their journey
- Be collaborative and recognize that the investment role is not a siloed experience, and that at times we have to pitch in cross functionally and be eager to roll up your sleeves when it’s necessary to do so
- Somewhat of a tech native with ability to pick up (or suggest) new work tools and dive into existing infrastructure we use on a day to day basis (including Slack, Notion, Zoom, GSuite, Dropbox, HubSpot + more)
- Be community minded with confidence to build enduring relationships throughout the ecosystem
Ultimately we’re looking for someone who feels a sense of pride in working at GD1 and is eager to help build on our vision of establishing GD1 as New Zealand’s premier VC firm that founders turn to first.
Background/experience we’re looking for
2-5 years’ work experience in general, from any of the following
- a startup, preferably a technology anchored business
- investment firms/groups, focussed on technology assets
- investment banking, consulting, advisory experience, focussed on new technologies
We are big believers in diversity (fun fact we were the first ethnically diverse VC fund manager in NZ, and have one of the most gender inclusive teams in the industry). We strongly encourage you to apply even if you are not sure you fit the criteria we've mentioned.
Applications are being considered on an ongoing basis with ideal candidates ready to start by April.
**Please note, this role is only open to those candidates that have the legal right to work in New Zealand**
Please complete the typeform here: https://gd1vc.typeform.com/analyst
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a phone interview, after which we’ll invite a smaller group to do a case study. We aim to finish the process by March and have you alongside us at GD1 very soon after that.
Benefits we offer
- A flexible, supportive, and hybrid work environment
- An industry leading KiwiSaver employer contribution of 6% of your gross salary - where we not only match your 3% employee contribution, but also add another 3% paid for by GD1
- True family friendly parental leave - we know family comes first and we are proud to offer a fully paid parental leave top up — 8 weeks for the primary caregiver and 4 weeks for the secondary caregiver, subject to a 12 month minimum tenure with GD1
- Health & Wellness benefit - we think it is important to focus on the aspects of life and wellbeing that give you clarity, improve your sense of self, and generally make you feel better. We offer a generous health and wellness stipend that operates in two parts: one focussed on physical wellbeing, and another focussed on mental wellbeing
- In addition to our Health & Wellness benefit, we extend health insurance reimbursement for you if you have a private health insurance plan in place
- Annual learning and development budget - everyone at GD1 is constantly learning, and as part of our benefits you’ll receive a yearly budget to spend on learning and development courses across any subject matter or topic you’d like to focus on
- New Zealand Student loan repayment benefit - whether you are new to the work force or have taken a break from work to get more study under your belt, we recognise the impact that a student loan can have on your finances when you return to work. At GD1 we’re here to help and support you on the repayment journey for your New Zealand student loan and offer a generous yearly top up to your student loan repayment, subject to a 12 month minimum tenure with GD1
- Tools down on the weekends – we work hard but also recognise that our people need time out of the office to recharge and so we make sure that your weekends are protected
If you have any issues applying please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.